Saturday, January 24, 2009

mmm...Hummus!


Peace Fam!!

I had the biggest craving the other day for some falafel (mmmmmmm) and Hummus, so today I'm soaking my chickpeas for some delicious raw hummus. I made it once before with canned chickpeas many moons ago and it was so delicious.

We eat a lot of veggie wraps here in the Kingdom, so I'm hoping my sweetie will like this alternate take on veggie flavor.

The version I'm in the process of making will be lemon/dill.

Normally I freestyle my recipes but I'll share with you how I intend to make it.


Lemon/Dill Hummus
  • 1 cup soaked chickpeas
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • dill
  • fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
  • water to help with consistency


Soak the chickpeas for about 24 hrs and let sit for 2 to 3 days to sprout. (I added a garlic clove to the water to infuse the flavor but that's optional) Add to the blender/food processor the chickpeas, garlic clove and freshly squeezed lemon juice. (no exact measurement, do it to taste but start with about a tablespoon). Turn on appliance then slowly add the olive oil and a little bit of water until it becomes the consistency of paste. Lastly add the dill (about 2 pinches of the fresh variety), salt and pepper. Adjust flavor to taste.

And enjoy!!

For those familiar with hummus, you can really take the creativity to the next level. You can add bell peppers (or even roasted bell peppers for an even better flavor), sundried tomato, curry, cilantro/lime...the choice is yours!

If you're on a time crunch, you can just throw in the blender the canned version but rinse off the peas first.


As for the falafel....mmmmm...I can't guarantee a raw version just yet but I will make good on that craving very soon!

Peace!


1 comment:

Amenta said...

Ummmm, I love hummus and falafal! I can't get enough of them.