Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Green Smoothie Feast

Peace!

The past couple of days I've really been banging out some crazy delicious smoothies. Last night I had one (drool) that consisted of watermelon, banana, orange juice, lemon and a lil' bit of honey (tryin' to use it up before I leave Michigan-imagine me trying to get past airport security with that). The smoothie I made that morning was kiwi, orange juice (i'll touch on that in a second), pineapple and spinach. What?? Yesterday was fantastic.

Ok so Saturday night I made a grocery run to pick up a couple of things and we went to two stores. The first store's produce department was MIA by about 2/3. It was the most desolate and depressed thing I had ever seen. The only thing I could buy (that I needed anyway) was organic spinach (you know the ones in the plastic containers? $1.79), bananas, and orange juice. It was the only thing they had in that entire store that I could've used as a base in my smoothies. No Bolthouse Farms or anything. *SmH*

What I was really looking for was a bit more variety of fruits (or just any of them rather) to get creative with. In the second store I was able to get a mini watermelon, kiwi, and pineapple. Now this was the store that's right by me which never disappoints but I don't know-maybe they were expecting a shipment or something that had not yet arrived.

And yet in both stores the meat dept was fully stocked.

Anyway, since I'm on such a smoothie kick, I figure it's time to up the ante for about 2 weeks and end this year with a Green Smoothie Feast. My goal is to consume 2-3 green smoothies a day and supplement with the occasional salad or simple fruit if needed. I would love to give you a list of ingredients I'm looking to buy, but I have to cross my fingers first to make sure they even have anything in stock at all. *frown*

Tomorrow I will post my grocery list and a recipe for a cucumber smoothie that will serve as a good cleanser for your body first thing in the morning.

Peace!

4 comments:

ChocolateOrchid said...

I look forward to your postings! You are really helping me out w/these smoothie recipes! Thanks for sharing this information!

Anonymous said...

Peace,

I just found your blog. I am looking forward to reading it. I have been a vegan for about 8 or 9 years. However, I really want to add more raw to my diet. I have found that when I do raw for periods at a time. I lose my appetite. I need to find a balance. I am already small and am not looking to get smaller. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Kristen's Raw said...

Great plan to up your green smoothies :) Very nourishing, cleansing, and delicious!

Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Kristen

Queen Infinite Wisdom said...

Thanks for the comments Ladies!!

AfrikanParenting:

One thing that a lot of my raw foodie friends have experienced (myself included) when raw is definitely loss of appetite. Which is actually a good thing. Hunger is just a signal to your body that you're in need of nutrients, not necessarily food in volume. So if you're not hungry then your body is getting what it needs. But if you incorporate more nuts, seeds and some avocados in your routine you should be able to maintain your current weight, or just not go 100% raw. 100% isn't the end all anyway, no special awards or anything. =)

xoxoxoxo