Thursday, December 18, 2008

Theme Salad: Mardi Gras!



Peace!

Something random reminded me that I had a picture on file on SoulVegFolk of a salad I used to make during the summer that was so good I ate it three days in a row. My 'Mardi Gras' salad.

Why Mardi Gras?

No reason in particular.

I like to take it to the next level with my salads by creating color themes. In this case it was Green, 'Gold', and Purple. This will ensure that I'm incorporating the variety I need in my daily routine. I've also made an 'Irie' and 'Italian Stallion' salad focusing on red/green/yellow and red/white/green respectively.

So what's in the Mardi Gras salad?

From what I remember:

  • Spinach
  • Dandelion greens
  • Green leaf lettuce
  • Cucumber
  • Green and yellow bell peppers
  • Red cabbage
  • Red onion (about as purple as I'm going to get)
  • Grapes (didn't think of it at the time but would pair well)
  • Dulse flakes
  • Agave/Dijon dressing with regular dijon mustard, olive oil for consistency, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and agave for sweetness.
There you go!

Get the babies involved too; maybe they have a favorite colorful character on tv that you could emulate and morph into their favorite salad.

I think that'll be on the menu for this upcoming weekend. Try it and let me know what you think!

Peace!

2 comments:

ChocolateOrchid said...

Hi Ravynn!

I'm lovin' your Mardi Gras salad! It's beautiful and looks delicious. My question is where do you get your dandelion greens from?...

Queen Infinite Wisdom said...

I've only found them in one place which was in FL. They were organic too, and I think harder to find. If you can't locate any, it won't make or break the salad. I could never use much as they were really bitter in taste. =)